Our seniors and retirees have worked hard their whole careers, and many now live on fixed incomes. I am proud of my record of leadership on issues important to seniors, such as financial security and health care, and I pledge to always look out for the best interests of our seniors and retirees.
Here are some of my accomplishments since becoming Speaker four years ago:
- Exempted Social Security benefits from the state’s income tax for single filers up to $80,000 and joint filers up to $100,000.
- Exempted the first $15,000 earned through other forms of retirement income such as public or private pensions, IRAs, and military pensions.
- Established the “independent provider” model of at-home care, which allows consumers to hire and manage caregivers of their choice.
- Created an $800,000 community senior services grant program for senior centers.
- Enacted the Livable Home Modification Grant program to all allow eligible aging homeowners and renters to make their existing residences more accessible so they can stay safely in their homes longer.
- Established the RI Aging and Disability Resource Center to assist individuals in crafting long-term plans for themselves and family members.